Thursday, January 2, 2014

6 months later (to the day)





A while back I asked you what you'd like to know and lots of you said "what's life like now?" and "How are the kids doing?"

We arrived here on July 2nd in the middle of extreme New York Summer heat. Yesterday we went ice skating in extreme cold in Central Park. We dabble in extremes.

The kids have adjusted to their new city but still often say they want to go home as in move back to Sweden ASAP.

Niki says it the least, Joel the most. But I think Vanja is really the one who longs for Sweden the most.

As for myself, I'm a bit torn.
I love New York City, how could you not?
I love the theatre of life playing every day in every street corner. I love the food and the extroverted norm of the New Yorkers.

I miss having my family close. I miss the comfort of old old friendship - people who know you almost better than you know yourself,

Then again am so happy and grateful for the new friends.

I miss trees and when the tree missing gets serious, I go to Central Park and it's almost religious - the calm those trees bring.

Speaking of religion - I love my Brooklyn gym, where people of every creed go to work out - the hasidic men dressed in crisp white shirts, black pants and real leather belts, the women in below-the-knee skirts nylons and shawls.

I love living in close proximity to the Met, my favorite place in the world.

I hate the fact that my three kids have to practice hiding in closets because this nation has seen so many school shootings, everyone has to be prepared for the worst, at all times.

I love the prospect of being here for real, of living here, not being a stressed out tourist trying to cover every sight in a few days' time.

I feel really conflicted about my professional life  - where is it going - what do I do?
Am just now finishing off work on a kids novel, trying to interest the publisher in another idea too.





Have decided will most likely keep the camera. will share more shots shortly.
Anything in particular you'd like to see? Beyond Niki enjoying her minestrone?


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this!
    I'm an American (Texan) living in Sweden. Have been for the past 5 years and we now have one kid with another on the way. We love Sweden. The nature, the calm, the security, but often talk about a new adventure in America. Maybe New York? Maybe Texas? But then we went to the movies in Texas and they had Emergency Instructions in case something happened, like with the Batman movie in Colorado. Do we want to raise our kids with that?!
    Such big questions, so thank you for sharing your own big questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give the camera to your kids and let each post about what they see all day. Like, a day in the life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous: great idea! will do that!

    eeh! what do you do for work? and where in stockholm do you live?

    new york seems fairly safe but what do I know about anything like that? I do know it's a huge difference in the general "freedom" the kids get to experience. at home, I would easily let my 11-year old spend a day on her own (=roaming around with friends) as long as she had her phone with her. here, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up on posts after the holidays. You're working on a kids' novel? That is so exciting! I have just finished a YA novel and for some reason often thought how much I'd like you to read it. You have a publisher? Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anna! ANd yes, have a Swedish publisher.
    And an amazing illustrator! so happy about that. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I am so excited about this, and would love to hear what it's like working with an illustrator. Dreamy! Is it coming out in English? Yes, I have a publisher as of quite recently in the UK - though, surprising to me, it's actually coming out with an adult imprint. I still think of it as YA...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, just now saw you replied to my comment (thanks!) and coincidentally we just got home from our big America trip.

    Right now I stay at home with my son, but before I was editor-in-chief of a small fashion/lifestyle website and magazine in Stockholm and before that owned my own copywriting company.
    Now we live in Malmö- international jobs are harder to find!

    We're still on the fence about moving back to America, but your move to New York is pretty darn inspiring. I know what you mean about the freedom- even as an adult it's something I feel differently in both countries. There are so many differences I notice each time I go back, some good, some bad.

    And yes, I am wondering the same as Anna's comment above- will the book be in English?

    ReplyDelete
  8. book might be in English, if I can interest an American or British publisher. Have already translated it into English since the illustrator doesn't know a word of Swedish.

    If you're in Malmö, I should introduce you to my friend Jennie who's another transplanted Texan, living in Cph. She's brilliant. Find her here: http://copenhagenfollies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in Malmö- brillant! I will look her up, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any comment, so happy to hear from you.