Sunday, July 24, 2011

Snow white


I love fairy tales. I love the russian tales best, where cursing witches ride around in big flying kettles backwards muttering "May the devil take the Russians" and there is constant danger and castles can shrink to fit inside an egg and everything is solved by clever young girls with long braids.

But I love other fairy tales too and remember reading that Snow White was originally put out in the forest by her own mother. The evil stepmother thing was a pre-Disney Disney move by the Grimms, to make the story more appealing to kids and perhaps their mothers.

The original story seems more interesting. There will come a time, sooner than you think, when you realize your sun is setting while your daughter's is rising. That's how it should be. But you may feel that instant with your own mother was not so long ago, when you were 13 in Venice and the two of you both thought the occasional whistles were for you, not the other.

Ps. I realize now, that my mother was younger then, in Venice, than I am these days.




5 comments:

  1. really tender and bittersweet. my favorite book as a child: http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/russian/russianwondertales.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Emi! Miss M IS 13. For a whole week now. And I cut my hair a little shorter because of it as hers grows longer.

    She's brave and strong and terribly clever. And so kind. And truly stunning but does not care one whip about it. She just wants to read and write and paddle about in canoes.

    I should tell you something. Your biology will have you pushing her to the edge of the nest if you let it. Kicking almost sometimes. Resist. Let her lead and pull you along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Å Emi, så hjärtskärande och sant. Jag snyftar alltid när jag hör Slipping through my fingers

    Slipping through my fingers all the time
    I try to capture every minute
    The feeling in it
    Slipping through my fingers all the time
    Do I really see what's in her mind
    Each time I think I'm close to knowing
    She keeps on growing
    Slipping through my fingers all the time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emi, so true so true! Celebrated C's 11th birthday just yesterday and feel ll if this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CIlla, jag grät som ett barn åt den i Mamma Mia! Ingen hade varnat mig! barnen förstod ingenting, de såg bara meryl streep flamsa runt i snickarbraxer!

    alpha monkey and your's truly - thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any comment, so happy to hear from you.