Sunday, September 2, 2012

Open question to men and to people who've met men

Over the past years, ancient flames of mine have apologized for "not treating you well enough, Emi".
This has not happened once, not even twice, but 3 or 4 times?

And each time I have had to respond with the truth: "Did you treat me bad? I didn't notice? I thought you were fine."

Is this late apology the male equivalent of "Do I look fat in this"? A question that has only one right answer, one that is boosting the ego of the one posing the question?

Or was I being maltreated and really didn't realize it?

You tell me, people.

















This is me back in the olden days. I'm wearing a NASA sweatshirt while handling a drill with no drill head? Is such a person smart or stupid?
Could you treat her bad without her noticing?
I really don't know.
But if so, did it hurt her?
Perhaps not?
But why would you?

4 comments:

  1. Weird. Did they all answer incorrectly to the "Do I look fat in this" question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mom, I met this hot chick that works for NASA, she carries a power drill though so let's all be nice to her."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you hit the nail on the head, or perhaps drilled in the screw? This is someone who has realised: 'Wow, Emi, she was pretty fantastic, with her Nasa sweatshirt, her crazy humour, etc Whatever went wrong...?' SO, to rationalise this in retrospective, they have to assume that they acted badly, not - perhaps more realistically - that you actually weren't meant to be together, or maybe even that you weren't convinced they were the bit to your drill head. It's a weird reverse compliment dressed up in narcissism. Maybe. It's obvious you were too cool for them, anyway.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome any comment, so happy to hear from you.